Ελληνικά
Logo of the Republic of Cyprus Department of Antiquities title=

Home Page |FAQ | Site Map | Links | Contact Us
Search:  
Search
Advanced Search         

Monuments

Ελληνικά
ΕκτύπωσηΕκτύπωση

Church of Agios Andronikos, Polis Chrysochous



The church of Agios Andronikos in Polis Chrysochous (Pafos district), is an aisleless, barrel- vaulted church of small dimensions. The church can be securely dated to the 16th century, since the very important wall-paintings on its walls and vaults belong to the Venetian period (1489-1570).


Church of Agios Andronikos, Polis Chrysochous


The church was converted into a mosque during Ottoman rule and a room was added to the north, serving the needs of the muslim worshippers.

Church of Agios Andronikos, Polis Chrysochous
Church of Agios Andronikos, Polis Chrysochous

The church was abandoned in 1963. After 1974 a long and painstaking process for the uncovering and cleaning of the wall -paintings of the plaster additions of later years began. As has already been mentioned, the restored wall paintings belong to the 16th century and are of great significance. They portray scenes such as the Ascension, the Pentecost, the Birth of the Virgin Mary, the Sacrifice of Abraham and other scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin.


Church of Agios Andronikos,
Polis Chrysochous: Wall paintings




Church of Agios Andronikos,
Polis Chrysochous: Wall paintings




Church of Agios Andronikos,
Polis Chrysochous: Wall paintings


In 1997 the interior of the church was excavated and the remains of four floors, all belonging to different periods, were uncovered and preserved so that the visitor can acknowledge the monument's various architectural phases.




District Pafos
Telephone 26322955 (Local Archaeological Museum Marion-Arsinoe)
Opening HoursMonday - Friday : 10.00-13.00
Saturday: closed
Sunday: 8.30 - 16.00
Admission Free


Πίσω




Top

Best viewed with MS Internet Explorer 5.5+, Netscape Navigator 6.2+


© 2005 - 2017 Republic of Cyprus, Ministry of Transport, Communications and Works

Department of Antiquities
Home Page | Government Web Portal | Disclaimer | Webmaster