The Ministry of Communications and Works (Depertment of Antiquities) announces the completion of excavations at a Chalcolithic site near Politiko in the Nicosia District. The excavations were conducted by a team of Australian archaeologists from La Trobe University in Melbourne. The results provide a valuable insight into life on the island between about 3500 and 2500 B.C. During April and May a large area of the site was exposed, revealing three circular pits characteristic of the period. Beside them a large deep natural hollow was found, filled with stone, pottery and animal bone. Altogether 54,000 fragments of pottery – weighing over one tonne – were excavated, along with many stone artefacts. The numerous animal bones show that the inhabitants hunted fallow deer (which became extinct on Cyprus after about 1000 B.C.) and herded sheep and goats.
The importance of these excavations lies in the fact that the Chalcolithic period is hardly known away from the southwest of the island. The work of the Australian team suggests that there were significant difference in both material culture and economy in different parts of Cyprus at this time.