(Dir.: Stylianos Perdikis)
The Ministry of Communications and Works (Department of Antiquities) announces the completion of the second archaeological excavation at the locality “Auli” at the community of Pano Pyrgos, Tillyria. Excavations were carried out with cooperation of the Museum of the Holy Monastery of Kykkos, under the supervision of Stylianos Perdikis, Director of the Museum of Kykkos, assisted by Vasiliki Lyssandrou, an archaeologist of the Holy Monastery of Kykkos and by Giorgos Koumis, Senior Technician at the Department of Antiquities. Ourania Perdiki participated voluntarily. The excavations were conducted for four weeks, from the 5th to the 30st of October 2009. The Holy Monastery of Kykkos covered the larger part of the excavation’s expenses.
This year’s excavation focused in the area to the north of the structures, which were indentified during last season’s first campaign. As expected, the structure, built entirely with sandstone ashlars, extended to the north. The structure consists of the east wing, measuring c. 38 x 6.30 m. and with south-north direction, and is believed to have been the most important part of the building. According to the archaeological evidence, the east wing included six rooms of different sizes. Their length’s vary from 5.50, 6.60 and 6.90 meters with room 6 being particularly large ( 9.70 x 5.39 m).
The archaeological data, at present, shows that this medieval building is composed of eight rooms of different sizes. It seems that the building extends towards the west, where a third wing with east-west direction has appeared. This wing constitutes a continuation of the north limit of the east wing. The investigation of this wing is still in progress. One room has been excavated, the eighth in the row, the walls of which pass below the existing most recent, abandoned house belonging to the first decades of the 20th century. This room stands on the highest point of the natural rock. In the middle of the south wall of the room a door was discovered with a monolith threshold in situ measuring 110 x 76 cm. Based on this door, we can estimate the building’s floor levels.
Parts of walls built mainly with rough local volcanic stones and abundant mortar have been indentified to the northwest within plot 503. These walls do not yet define complete rooms, but it is obvious that they are related to the building complex, which came to light in the eastern part of the area.
The stones of the excavated medieval building were heavily looted at the end of the 19th century. Large quantities of structural material were transferred to the nearby community of Pano Pyrgos, and were used as building material for the village’s houses. During the excavation a survey was carried out and these houses were inventoried and photographed.
Amongst the movable finds of particular importance is the variety of the pottery, which contains Plain White and Glazed vessels. With regards to the Glazed vessels, most of them are distinguished by their good quality and by their large size. Of special interest is the imported pottery (majolica). As far as the metal objects are concerned, of particular importance is a bronze ring bearing an engraved decoration, as well as two medieval coins. After their conservation, it appeared that one of the coins is of a Cypriot minting, a silver denier of the French king of Cyprus Henry II Lusignan (1285-1324), and the second a bronze tornecello, of Venetian minting of the doge of Venice Andrea Kontarini (1368-1382). The upper levels of the excavation brought to light an Ottoman Red Slip pipe.
During the excavation, a survey was carried out in the area of Mansoura where 47 tombs were located and mapped. According to the pottery, the tombs belong to the Hellenistic and Roman period.
The excavation site from the southwest