CONVERSION OF FOREIGN DRIVER'S LICENSE
The conversion of a driver's license from a foreign one to a Cypriot one is done when the Driver's License comes from a country where its Driver's License is recognized as equivalent to the Cypriot one, based on the notification of the Commissioner or from a country of the European Union.
Conversion of a driving license from a foreign one to a Cypriot one:
• Application for the issuance of a driver's license, (TOM 7D).
• A recent photo of size 45x35 mm, for more information.
• Identity Card (for Cypriot Returnees or Alien Registration Certificate (for foreigners) (original and a photocopy).
• Passport (original and a photocopy of the first page with the applicant's details).
•Foreign driving license (original and a photocopy of all pages). (The foreign driver's license is sent to the Competent Authority of the State of its issuance).
• Translation of the foreign driver's license unless it is in English or Greek. The translation must be done by the Press and Information Office through authorized translators (original and one photocopy).
• The application together with all relevant documents should be presented in person at the local District Driver Examiner Offices, for relevant control and approval of the conversion.
• Evidence that the applicant has normal residence* in the Republic. Instructions here.
· In the event that the applicant is 70 years of age or older or the applicant's driving license is for motor vehicle categories C, C+E, D, D+E, C1, C1+E, D1, D1+E, a physical certificate is required ability.
· Applicants together with all relevant documents should be presented in person at the local District Driver Examiner Offices, for the relevant control and approval of the conversion.
· *A foreign applicant must reside in Cyprus for at least one hundred and eighty-five days and in the case of a non-EU citizen, the Foreigner's Registration Certificate and residence permit must be presented. In the case of a foreign student, a certificate of attendance at a higher education institution for a period of at least six months must also be presented.
The applicant must go to the District Offices of the TOM only for the issuance of the driver's license. The countries whose Licenses are recognized as equivalent to the Cyprus License are all of the European Union plus those included in the notification. Holders of driver's licenses from countries included in the notification are obliged to exchange their driver's license after a six-month stay in the Republic of Cyprus. On the other hand, holders of driver's licenses coming from member states of the European Union can, if they wish, exchange their driver's license after a six-month stay in the Republic of Cyprus.
The conversion of a driver's license from a foreign one to a Cypriot one is governed by the Driving License Law of 2001 and its amendments to date.